Friday, June 11, 2010

Everyone Should Have An APRON!!!

OK I have (for the time being) a healthy obsession with Aprons. I think it started with the church we grew up in. Every Sunday there would be what us kids call "cookie time" a.k.a fellowship time in between Sunday school and service. We would all come running threw the back door of our church waiting to see what treats (most of us were forbidden to eat any other day of the week) had been out just waiting for us to devour. My favorite were the vanilla wafers, Ore's and the chocolate covered gram crackers. Yumm! For a kid who never really had junk food growing up (thanks Mom, I would have been huge) this was a great part of every Sunday! We would run up to the counter and choose 2, yes 2 and little did we know we were also starting relationships with the "grown-up" in church at the same time. Kinda sneaky how they did that. Most of the older Lady's as they served would ware these old aprons that people had donated to the church threw the years. While making coffee and tea for the adults and pours us water (or lemon aid if we were lucky) they would strike up a little conversation with each one of us. These little conversations turned into bigger ones, that turned into hugs and talks after church. Inviting us to help cook with them for one of the churches dinners or make cookies for the retirement homes in K-town. I remember the first one I wore. Mrs. Nelsons, one of the nicest women I've ever know, tied on this light blue half apron with blue and white flowers embroidered around the top and bottom and one larger on the pocket. I remember it must have been her favorite cause she wore it every time she served us on Sundays. As we made cookies that first time I just felt so special in "her"apron. I will never know if she did it on purpose or if she was just going about business but because of that small moment I've always felt like when I have my apron on I'm special, and it reminds me that I'm serving other. Which is a perfect reminder for everyday. As you clean the house, cook dinner, or are doing a craft with or without the kiddos, you are serving someone. My "other 6 days" where I'm not in church, I need to be reminded that when I fell like I'm going to lose my mind or I just want to sit and do things "later", its really not about me! Its about serving. Anyways, all this to say I think ever girl should have one to help remind them of that. And plus there are some super cute ones, such as this one. Not my favorite due to the fact that its black and who can keep a black apron clean. But like every girl should have a little black dress I think they should also have a little black apron. Or at least AN apron for that matter!

http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Jessie-Steele-Hostess-Apron-Bib-Sophia-Black-Lace__JS1035.aspx

4 comments:

Katie Jenan said...

Yeah Laura! I'm super excited, awesome graphic work too! We are in CO right now but I'd love to share some recipes when we get back into town. See you on Tuesday. Love your posts....LOVE THEM!

Laura said...

Thanks Katie. I just found the background. Jon will probably make one for me once he is off work (we'll see). Hope your loven CO!

Kailey Walkup said...

OOO i love this idea!! So we will be putting recipes on here?

Laura said...

Sorry Kailey. I saw your comment a while back and I totally forgot to reply. But yes Im trying to get use to this hole thing but that is the plan.

Post a Comment