Thursday, July 1, 2010

FOOD!!!

As I'm trying to get back on track with my eating, my mind is flooded with with foods I'm wanting to make in the next few weeks. Home Made Sunshine (aka home made Mac N Cheese the hubbies favorite ), Chili with the works, Home made ice cream.. yummy, and the list goes on and on. The only thing that's ever helped me loose weight was doing the Thin Within book by Halliday (its a Grace-Oriented approach). Whats so awesome is you can eat whatever you want!!!. It really works, but Ill tell you more about it in another blog. So I'm going to be diving in a few of my cook books today to get my "crave list" down on paper.

TIP: One of the best parts of a Crock-Pot (slow cooker) is the fact that you don't have to turn your oven on in the summer! I love to set mine on the back porch or even in the garage, then I don't have to worry how much heat its throwing in to the house.

With that said Turkey Chili it is! This is one of those great basic/cheap recipes that you can fool around with to make it your own. I always add about a tsp and a half of Brown sugar and a Tbsp of mustard the last 15 min (cause I like that bit of sweet and a little tang in my chili). So here it is..

Turkey Chili
Makes 6-8 servings

1 large chopped onion
2-3 Tbsp oil
1 lb. Ground Turkey
1/2 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. chili powder
6-oz. can tomato paste
3 1-lb. cans kidney beans
1 cup frozen corn

1.) Saute onion in oil in skillet until transparent. Add turkey and salt and brown lightly in skillet.
2.) Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Mix well.
3.) Cover cook on low 8-9 hours / or medium 4-5 hours.

Note:
You can use Ground Beef in place of the Turkey.




With almost all my cooking I use red onion (when onion is called for), Garlic salt for "salt" and olive oil for the "oil". Again use what you have on hand and what sounds good to you. This could be eaten topped on hot dog, rice, pasta, burgers, what ever sounds good to you and your family. At our house we eat it "as is" and top with cheese and sour cream and serve with toasted bread (which I rub a bit of fresh garlic on after toasting and some butter ) Yummy!

I also try to cook at lease one meal with my oldest kiddo everyday. So because this meal is so filling we usually make pudding or jello after nap time. That way if we are to full we can just save it for future desserts or snacks later on that week. Hope you've gotten some kind of idea for a meal for your family out of this post, remember to make it your own.

Hope you all are using your capes today and loving it,
Laura




(Ill add a pix to all my recipes once I made them again)

0 comments:

Post a Comment